Throughout the history of York St there have been many faithful people serving God who have created the legacy we enjoy today. Our buildings have changed, we have embraced new technology, the music styles and coffee have modernised but the purpose has always been to connect people with the life changing message of Jesus!
For those of you who love history, here’s a snapshot…
Way back in 1896 the Ballarat Christian Mission began ministry here at York Street. In 1902 York Street Hall was purchased and in 1903 a Sunday School was established with baptisms being conducted at Ballarat City Baths.
In 1923 the Ballarat Christian Mission worked with the Dawson Street Church of Christ and on the 11th March 1925 the York Street Church of Christ was formed.
In 1932 the original chapel was built. This is now used as the youth hall. During 1937 the new Sunday School building was opened (now used as our cafe area) and in the early 30’s Sunday school numbers reached 141.
In 1951 a Youth Fellowship was formed and in 1953 a playgroup established.
1967 saw the opening of the Youth Centre (which is now where the church offices are).
In 1972 the chapel extension was opened.
In 1976, the Christmas Festival was established with carols held in Geoff and Marion Fearys’ Garden This festival has evolved over time into what is now the Ballarat Carols! In 1981 the York Street Church of Christ Kindergarten began.
In 1990 the current church building was opened, including a 350 seat chapel, larger foyer and new kindergarten.
In 1999 a MOPS program began and is still running strong today!
In 2011 our building was extended again to house a children’s indoor playground and new meeting rooms.
We currently have over 800 people regularly connected with York Street attending our services and programs.
York St has a long tradition of strong children’s and youth programs, generous support of overseas mission, faithful biblical preaching, quality music and being a church filled with life.
All to the glory of God!